In 1950, Max Hoffman, a New York based importer of luxury European cars and Porsche’s sole importer, suggested to Ferry Porsche a growing desire amongst his customers for a simpler, less expensive, open top 356 with a sportier feeling compared to the coupe and cabriolet initially available.
Porsche used the existing 356 coupe chassis as a base for the new Speedster, making numerous changes included a cut-down low rake windscreen – easily removed for racing as well as a simplified hood that featured detachable side screens instead of conventional windows. The interior was stripped of many comforts such as a radio and heater as well as a tachometer which became optional extras. Bucket seats helped to reduce weight and instrumentation consisted solely of a speedometer and temperature gauge.
The first 200 Speedsters were delivered in 1954 with a further 1,700 the following year before the model received its first upgrade as the 356A, when a larger 1,600cc engine arrived. Cars built prior to this upgrade such as the one offered here are referred to as “Pre-A” and are regarded as the most desirable of all Speedsters.
Colour: Dark Blue
Interior: Grey Leather
Build date: date 03.03.1955
- most attractive colour scheme of dark blue with pale grey leather interior
- in excellent usable condition and driving superbly
- fresh from long-term ownership in a warm dry climate
- maintained by Porsche experts Sportwagen and recently serviced and prepared for sale by 356 specialists JAZ Porsche
- fitted with desirable and valuable original Rudge knock-on alloy wheels